Despite some rough months the baby year was a time I'll always cherish. It was fleeting and magical and all those other cliched and meaningless words people use to describe parenting a baby because words can't capture how it feels. She is a delight and I am so happy to have her in my life. Bring it, toddlerhood.
Although the third trimester is supposed to be the most uncomfortable (and ends in scary scary labor and delivery), I'm glad it's here and I can get it over with! I'm excited for the baby to come out where it can be cute and annoy other people besides just me.
Age 29 Resolutions
1. Go to bed by 11PM every day.
2. Exercise/physical activity every day.
3. Spend time outside at least once a week.
4. Bird at least twice a month.
5. Blog at least once a month (this includes reading friends’ blogs and catching up on comments).
6. Unclutter at least one day a month.
7. Learn or practice a new photography-related concept or skill every month.
8. Learn Portuguese.
9. Make money at photography.
10. Set up wills already.
So how am I doing for November so far?
1. Not so hot, really.
2. Also not good but I will change!!
3. I’m surprised to recall that I spent several hours outside every weekend this month. Awesome!
4. Hawk Mountain was once, so I better bird at the Cottage this weekend. ← Quantifiable goals in action! Instead of resolving “I should bird more” and then every weekend saying “I’ll do it next weekend,” now I see that I haven’t met my numerical goal so I better step it up.
5. This is the second post this month!
6. I can’t remember if I’ve uncluttered this month specifically but in the past few I’ve done a lot. I’ve gotten good at identifying things I don’t want or need, but the problem seems to lie in actually getting this stuff out of the house.
7. Not done. I guess I could try some HDR stuff at the Cottage?
8. Ugh ok. Portuguese is HARD. None of the letters are pronounced the way you expect. For some sounds I have to consciously think “Ok put your tongue there and your teeth there and don’t do that with your lips” etc etc. Half of the syllables aren’t even pronounced. Carlos taught me a few obscenities but he laughs at my accent. Too bad it’s time to suck it up! I have Rosetta Stone and I make Carlos talk to me only in Portuguese so it’s an immersion program. PLUS my new LOTR Blu-rays have a Portuguese audio track - since I have those movies memorized, I won’t even need a translator!
9. Hah no. This is like a mondo beyondo goal- something I really don’t believe I can do but will push myself toward anyway. Obviously this goal is a little vague but I’ll work out some steps to reach this. Maybe my November goal could be to come up with the steps to do this?
10. Really needs to be done to prevent custody battles over our sweet Loki - I’m sure everyone would want him if we both died!
I’ll do a status post in a few months and we’ll see how this goes. You can yell at me if I fail!
I've mostly stopped writing on here because I have no idea what to write about. The day-to-day boring minutiae end up on Twitter (@barnswallowkate - let me know if you're on Twitter so I can follow you!), my photos go on Picasa, and my book reviews go on Goodreads (click that and come be my friend there!). All of those sites require a lot less writing so I guess I've been taking the easy way out.
Plus, not much has been going on in my life over the past year. Things with Carlos are pretty much the same as they were before we got married. I'm still working at the same company, although I did switch around to a few different programs this year. We hadn't even worked on the house until recently. Everything happening in the world depresses me so I don't want to write about that either. I’ll just try to recap a few slightly-non-boring things from the past year.
So there is a not-actually-all-that-short summary of what I've been up to. I warmed up my blogging muscles and I will try really hard to keep up with this! I've found a lot of you on Twitter and have tried to catch up on most of your LJs as well, but let me know if I missed anything big in the past few months.